Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 31st July & 01st August 2022 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Daily GK Update of the 31st July & 01st August 2022 covering the following news headlines: World Breastfeeding Week, Hungarian Grand Prix, International Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games 2022, Paris Olympics 2024.
Top 19 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 19 important Daily General Knowledge 2022 updates with national & international news.
1. Zimbabwe launched gold coins as legal tender to tackle inflation
- Zimbabwe has launched gold coins to be sold to the public in a bid to tame runaway inflation that has further eroded the country’s unstable currency.
- The unprecedented move was announced by the country’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe, to boost confidence in the local currency.
- The coin is called ‘Mosi-oa-Tunya’ which refers to Victoria Falls in the local Tonga language.
- The coins will have liquid asset status so that they could be easily converted to cash and locally and internationally tradable. The cost of one coin was $1,824 at the time of launch.
2. Kerala leads in hosting legislative sessions in 2021
- Kerala, which dropped to eighth place in terms of convening Assembly sessions during the initial COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, regained first place in 2021 with the nation’s longest House session at 61 days.
- The PRS Legislative Research, a think tank with its headquarters in New Delhi, published the research on the operation of State Assemblies for 2021.
- Karnataka came in second with 40 sitting days, followed by Tamil Nadu with 34, and Odisha with 43.
- The guidelines for how legislatures should operate were set forth by the National Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution (2000–2002), which was presided over by former Chief Justice of India M.N. Venkatachaliah.
- The Houses of State/UT legislatures should convene for at least 50 days a year for those with fewer than 70 members, like Puducherry, and at least 90 days for those with more members.
3. Sanjay Arora to join as the new Delhi Police commissioner
- Sanjay Arora, a Tamil Nadu-cadre IPS officer who oversaw the paramilitary ITBP, will assume control of the Delhi Police as Delhi Police commissioner. He is scheduled to retire in 2025.
- Sanjay Arora was named commissioner of the Delhi Police, replacing the previous Delhi Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana, an IPS officer from the Gujarat Cadre who retired after nearly 38 years of service.
- Rakesh Asthana, the departing commissioner of the Delhi Police, said that despite his retirement, he still has a strong desire to serve the public and the force.
- The IPS officer from the Gujarat cadre class of 1984 has made some significant reforms to the Delhi Police over the past year, including combining Police Control Room units with police stations and removing law and order from the investigative section.
4. PM Modi unveils Redesigned Distribution Sector Program
- Redesigned Distribution Sector Program that is based on reforms and results was adopted by the Union Cabinet, which is presided over by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- By giving DISCOMs conditional financial assistance for the bolstering of supply infrastructure, the Scheme aims to increase the operational efficacy and financial viability of all DISCOMs/Power Departments, excluding those in the private sector.
- With an expected GBS from the Central Government of Rs. 97,631 crore, the Scheme will have an outlay of Rs. 3,03,758 crore.
Summits and Conferences News
5. Amit Shah inaugurated a conference on drug trafficking
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah spent all day in Chandigarh where he inaugurated a symposium on drug trafficking and national security.
- Along with Shah, other speakers at the national conference included Banwarilal Purohit, the chief ministers of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, the lieutenant governor of Jammu & Kashmir, and the Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Important Takeaways for All Competitive Exams:
- Union Home Minister: Shri Amit Shah
- Chief Minister of Punjab: Shri Bhagwant Mann
- Chief Minister of Haryana: Shri Manohar Lal Khattar
- Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir: Shri Manoj Sinha
6. 3rd India-Vietnam Bilateral Army Exercise “Ex VINBAX 2022” begins in Haryana
- The 3rd edition of Vietnam-India Bilateral Army Exercise “Ex VINBAX 2022” is conducted at Chandimandir, Haryana from August 1 to 20, 2022.
- The theme of Ex VINBAX 2022 is the “Employment and deployment of an Engineer Company and a Medical Team as part of United Nations Contingent for Peace Keeping Operations”. The exercise will further strengthen the bilateral relations between India and Vietnam.
- The conduct of Ex VINBAX – 2022 as a field training exercise with enhanced scope from previous editions of bilateral exercise will strengthen mutual confidence, and inter-operability and enable sharing of best practices between the Indian Army and Vietnam People’s Army.
7. Kargil War: Point 5140 at Dras in Kargil sector named as Gun Hill
- Indian Armed Forces and pay tribute to the supreme sacrifice of the Gunners in “Operation Vijay”, Point 5140 at Dras in the Kargil sector has been christened as Gun Hill.
- Regiment of Artillery of the Indian Army, with lethal and accurate firepower, was able to have a telling effect on the enemy troops and their defences including Point 5140, which was the key factor in the early completion of operations.
8. 4th India-Oman Joint Military Exercise ‘AL NAJAH-IV’ begins
- The 4th Edition of India-Oman Joint Military Exercise ‘AL NAJAH-IV’ begins in Rajasthan at the Foreign Training Node of Mahajan Field Firing Ranges.
- The exercise takes place between contingents of the Indian Army and the Royal Army of Oman from August 01 to 13, 2022. The 3rd edition of Ex AL NAJAH IV was held at Muscat from 12 to 25 March 2019.
- The Indian Army will be represented by troops from the 18 Mechanised Infantry Battalion at the AL NAJAH-IV.
- The Royal Army of Oman contingent will be represented by the Sultan of Oman Parachute Regiment.
Ranks and Reports News
9. Indian Women Savitri Jindal replaces China’s Yang Huiyan to become Asia’s Richest Woman
- Savitri Jindal, the Chairperson Emeritus of OP Jindal Group, has surpassed China’s Yang Huiyan to become Asia’s richest woman, as per the real-time Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The 72-year-old Savitri Jindal who also holds the position of the richest woman in India has a total fortune of $11.3 billion.
- The fortune of Yang Huiyan, owner of China’s largest real estate developer ‘Country Garden Holdings’, dropped by more than half in 2022, from $ 24 billion to $11 billion. She had been Asia’s richest woman for the past five years.
10. Tamil Nadu Police received President’s colour from Vice President Venkaiah Naidu
- Chief Minister M.K. Stalin received the renowned “President’s Colours” for the Tamil Nadu Police from Vice-President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- One of the very few law enforcement agencies in the nation to be awarded the coveted “President’s Colours” is the Tamil Nadu Police. To commemorate the achievement, Mr. Stalin declared that each police officer in the service would get a medal.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Vice-President of India: M. Venkaiah Naidu
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu: M.K. Stalin
- Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu: V. Irai Anbu
- Home Secretary of Tamil Nadu: K. Phanindra Reddy
11. Commonwealth Games 2022: Mirabai Chanu wins India’s first gold medal
- Daughter of India, weightlifter Mirabai Chanu has won India’s first Gold Medal at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in the Women’s 49Kg weightlifting category.
- She aggregated a total of 201kg (88kg+113kg) to stamp her authority in the competition and achieve a Commonwealth Games record in the process.
- The silver went to Mauritius’ Marie Hanitra Roilya Ranaivosoa (172kg) and the bronze to Canada’s Hannah Kaminski (171 kg).
12. Commonwealth Games 2022: Bindiyarani Devi wins silver medal
- Another Weightlifter of India, Bindyarani Devi (55kg) has clinched a silver in the women’s 55kg as India continued its medal rush at the Commonwealth Games. She lifted a total weight of 202kg (86kg+116kg).
- Nigeria’s Adijat Adenike Olarinoye also obliterated the Games record in snatch and total effort with an aggregate of 203kg (92kg+111kg) to win the gold medal. Local favourite Fraer Morrow finished third with a total lift of 198kg (86kg+109kg).
13. Commonwealth Games 2022: Jeremy Lalrinnunga wins Gold in men’s 67 kg weightlifting
- India’s Jeremy Lalrinnunga has won the gold medal in men’s 67 kg category weightlifting at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. The 19-year-old Youth Olympic champion lifted a total of 300kg (140kg+160kg) to get the first position.
- This is the second gold for the country and fifth medal overall. Samoan weightlifter Vaipava Nevo Ioane secured a silver medal with a lift of 293 (127kg + 166kg) and Nigeria’s Edidiong Joseph Umoafia won bronze, 290kg (130kg+160kg).
14. Commonwealth Games 2022: Weightlifter Achinta Sheuli clinch gold medal
- India’s weightlifter, Achinta Sheuli (73 Kg representative) bagged the gold medal in The Commonwealth Games 2022. The 20-year-old claimed the yellow metal with a combined effort of 313 Kilograms (143kg in snatch and 170kg in clean & jerk).
- India has been performing exceptionally well in weightlifting as the contingent has already bagged 6 medals in this edition.
- Malaysia’s Erry Hidayat Muhammad, who gave Sheuli a tough competition, ended as the second-best lifter in the event. He had the best effort of 303kg (138kg 165kg). Canada’s Shad Darsigny was third with a total lift of 298kg (135kg 163kg).
15. ‘Games Wide Open’ unveiled as Paris Olympics 2024 official slogan
- The organizers of the 2024 Paris Olympics unveiled “Games Wide Open” as their official slogan. The 2024 Summer Olympics are scheduled to take place from July 26 to August 11, 2024.
- The slogan was released alongside a video promising the Olympics and Paralympics would be “faster”, “higher” and “stronger” — as well as “more inclusive, more brotherly, more beautiful.”
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- International Olympic CommitteeHeadquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland;
- International Olympic Committee President: Thomas Bach;
- International Olympic Committee Founded: 23 June 1894, Paris, France.
16. England beats Germany in Women’s Euro 2022
- The European Championship final saw England defeat Germany 2-1 to claim its first significant women’s soccer championship.
- After Germany failed to successfully clear a corner, Chloe Kelly scored the game-winning goal on a rebound in the second period of extra time.
- At Wembley Stadium, the score was tied 1-1 after 90 minutes thanks to goals from Germany’s Lina Magull and England’s Ella Toone. The result was decided in extra-time.
17. IOC Commission Athletes’ adds four new members
- The four new members were appointed by International Olympic Committee President, Thomas Bach. The appointments were made in consultation with Emma Terho, Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
- While the focus of the four newest members will soon shift to the elected positions as the Paris 2024 Summer Olympic Games approach.
Four Olympians have joined the IOC Athletes’ Commission to help represent the athlete voice within the Olympic Movement:
- Allyson Felix (USA): Sprinter
- Alistair Brownlee (UK): triathlon
- Oluseyi Smith (Canada): Sprinter
- Masomah Ali Zada (first refugee athlete on any IOC commission): Cyclist
18. Max Verstappen wins F1 Hungarian Grand Prix 2022
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) has won the Formula One (F1) 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix 2022.
- This is his overall 28th race win and the 10th win of the 2022 season. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) stood second and George Russell (Mercedes – Britain) came third.
19. World Breastfeeding Week 2022: 1-7 August
- World Breastfeeding Week is observed every year to emphasize regular breastfeeding for babies. This year breastfeeding week commences on August 1 while it concludes on August 7.
- Breastfeeding is extremely crucial for the healthy growth and development of an infant. Breastmilk is the best food for newborn babies. It contains antibodies that aid in preventing several prevalent paediatric ailments.
- This year’s World Breastfeeding Week, under its theme ‘Step Up for Breastfeeding: Educate and Support.’ is a time to revisit the commitments made at the start of this year by prioritizing breastfeeding-friendly environments for mothers and babies.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action Headquarters location: Penang, Malaysia;
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action Founder: Anwar Fazal;
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action Chairperson: Felicity Savage;
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action Founded: 14 February 1991.